Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Caregiver's Are Busy Bees!



On the surface, it doesn't appear that the bumblebee's wings are large enough to support it to fly.  But fly it does.  There’s a lot more going on with the wings than it first appears. The enormous complexity of the motion, the design of the wings, and the support system that moves the wings all work together beyond what we would expect them to accomplish: obviously bumblebees can and do fly. 

The point: people like us who take on the role of Caregiver may feel ill-equipped to handle the job, but of course we do. Like the bumblebee, we may not think we look the part or have what it takes, but in fact we do!

I wasn't handed a job description. No one trained me for the position. I didn't have a handbook or a library of books to read about how to be a caregiver. I truly was on my own, figuring out what needed to be done each day. There was plenty! 

The role of the Caregiver includes a wide variety of tasks. That being said, there are also times when one day seems just like the other. I experienced a string of similar days and then there were time periods when I never knew what to expect on any given day. I look back in amazement to see all that I managed and accomplished, and I sit in wonder. I have no training in Healthcare/Senior Care/Caregiving. I am a mom of four children and was extremely busy for many years until they were self-sufficient. But that did not prepare me for what my caregiving role included. It was on-the-job training for a long time!

Don't be too hard on yourself if you don't feel as though you're doing a "perfect" job. There is no such thing. All you can do is put your best foot forward a day at a time, an hour at a time, and know that you are giving your best. At day's end, be sure to pause and look back on the day and realize how productive you were. Keep up the good job, you're doing great! 

Best Wishes,
Carole Brecht

http://www.thesandwichwoman.com/
https://www.facebook.com/thesandwichwoman
Instagram: @San_Gen_Woman
Twitter: Carole Brecht @SanGenWoman


Copyright 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment