Wednesday, June 3, 2015

- A Caregiver's Best Friend -


A tender touch, a soft voice, a gentle hug, a warm smile...so easy to brighten someone's day. 

I have found in my life that the best way to forget about my troubles is to focus on others. I have found this to be true time and again. 

There is always something to be angry about. There are days it feels as though everything is going haywire and nothing is going right. There are times you may bend over backwards for a friend, relative or neighbor and they have no idea what it took for you to "get the job done." 

In my journey as a Caregiver, there have been times I was resentful, angry and unforgiving toward others. I was dealing with so much sorrow and anticipatory grief, I couldn't think straight. All I knew was I needed help. I needed support. I needed some time off, I needed relief. I needed peace. I learned much in hindsight looking back. 

If you are feeling alone in your journey as a Caregiver, I relate to that so well. It's a dark and lonely place. I encourage you to find a support group and make a friend there. Or seek solace at your place of worship. Or join a knitting group or a book club or a gym or take a dance class or go visit a friend, or go shopping or take a ride on a nice day or have a day where you do NOTHING. Imagine, no schedule, no deadline, no place to be and no one to answer to. Find a way to carve some time out for yourself, whatever that may be. 

You'll feel better and "do life" better by embracing your best friend - that would be you!

Sending Best Wishes,
Carole Brecht

http://www.thesandwichwoman.com/
https://www.facebook.com/thesandwichwoman
Instagram: @San_Gen_Woman
Twitter: Carole Brecht @SanGenWoman

Copyright 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment